Special Educational Needs Information Report

Heytesbury Primary School

What is an information report?

In line with the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice, July 2014, all schools have a duty to publish information on their website about the implementation of the policy for children with Special Educational Needs (SEN).

At Heytesbury School we believe in providing every possible opportunity to develop the full potential of all children. Within this report, you will find information about the provision we offer to support children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND).

Who’s who and what do they do?

How do I contact them?

Ø  Class teachers have the responsibility for the achievement and progress of all children in their class. Class teachers are available in the playground after school or may be contacted via their school email addresses.

Ø  Mrs Godfrey, Deputy Head Teacher, is the Special Educational Needs Coordinator.  Her role is to monitor and coordinate provision, provide advice and liaise with parents and outside agencies.  She may be contacted in the first instance via email or through the school office.

Ø  Mrs Davies is the governor with responsibility for SEND.

Ø  We have a small team of teaching assistants who are trained to deliver a range of interventions and support programmes.

How does the school know if my child needs extra help?



Ø On a daily basis, teachers evaluate their lessons and consider whether individual children are making the expected progress within the lessons.

Ø Children are assessed each term and their attainment and progress is tracked by the class teacher and by the Deputy Head Teacher/SENCo.

Ø If the class teacher has any concerns about a child’s attainment or progress, he/she would make contact with the child’s parents to discuss the best way to support the child.

Ø Should concerns continue, the class teacher will discuss these with the SENCo and agree the best way forward.


‘Slow progress and low attainment do not necessarily mean that a child has SEN and should not automatically lead to a pupil being recorded as having SEN…Equally it should not be assumed that attainment in line with chronological age means that there is no learning difficulty or disability.’  Para 6.23 SEN Code of Practice July 2014


How does the school assess my child’s SEN?

Ø If there have been ongoing concerns about a child’s progress and/or development, the class teacher will consult with parents and the SENCo. Provision may be identified on the class provision map.  If necessary, referral will also be made to the ‘Wiltshire Graduated Response to SEND Support” (WGRSS) – this gives guidance regarding procedures and strategies and helps to inform decisions about how best to support the child’s needs.

Ø If necessary, the child may be added to the SEN Register at the ‘SEN Support’ level.  In response to individual needs, a ‘My Support Plan’ may be written, so that progress can be closely monitored and additional support put into place as necessary. Parents will be consulted and kept informed.

Ø Should the class teacher or SENCo have ongoing concerns, with parental consent, they may refer the child to an outside agency who can support with the identification and assessment of individual needs.

Ø Whilst most children will have their SEN needs met at ‘SEN Support’ level, a small number may require an Education, Health and Care Assessment to determine whether the Local Authority needs to provide a higher level of support and funding in order to meet the identified learning outcomes.

Ø Children who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) will have a formal Annual Review Meeting to review progress and current needs as well as regular review of their individual termly targets.

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

We want to work closely with parents, so please

Ø  make an appointment to discuss your concerns with the class teacher.

Ø  talk to your class teacher at the Parents’ Meetings / Evenings (available three times a year)


How will Heytesbury School support my child?

Ø  All children’s progress is monitored throughout the year. Where needed, additional support is provided – this may be for the more able child, the gifted and talented child or for a child with SEN, as well as for those children who need a ‘boost’ in a particular area.

Ø  The support may be provided in class from the class teacher or teaching assistant or may be provided via a withdrawal group working with a teaching assistant.  For some children support may be offered via after school clubs – ‘Maths Wizards’ and ‘Writing Wizards’.

Ø  Interventions are regularly reviewed in order to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning.

How will I know how my child is doing?

Ø  Parent meetings are held three times a year. All parents are invited to meet with the class teacher to review progress.

Ø  Parents of children receiving an intervention support programme at any point during the year are given information about the programme and how they may help at home. They will also be informed of the outcomes at the end of the intervention.

Ø  Meetings may be arranged with the class teacher at any point during the school year.

Ø  Parents will receive a full written report in term 4 and an end of year data report in term 6.

How will the curriculum and learning environment be matched to my child’s needs?

Ø  High quality teaching, differentiated for groups or for individuals is the first step in supporting pupils who have or may not have SEN.

Ø  Using assessment outcomes, challenging but achievable targets are set for each child.

Ø  Where necessary, specific resources and strategies are used to support children both individually and in groups, for example laptops, visual timetable, writing frames, pencil grips.

Ø  Classroom environments are stimulating as well as supportive; they are resourced to meet the needs of children with different learning styles.

Ø  Children are encouraged to become independent learners through our ‘Gem Power’ approach. They are also encouraged to challenge their own learning by accepting differentiated learning tasks.

How accessible is the school environment?

Ø  Nominated governors monitor health and safety procedures as well as the Disability Access Plan.

Ø  Our school is on the flat. Emergency exit from the hall and Otters classroom is accessed by a few, low, steps.

Ø  The school playground is only accessible via a set of steep steps or a steep grass bank.

How will the school help me to support my child’s learning?

Ø  Each academic year begins with a ‘New Beginnings’ session which outlines routines and expectations for the each class and how children may be supported at home.

Ø Parents are able to meet with the class teacher at any point during the year, as well as attend Parent Consultation Evenings, held 3 times a year.

Ø Learning workshops are held during the year – these are information / practical sessions for parents re how to support your child at home in various areas.

Ø If your child has a ‘My Support Plan’ or Education, Health or Care Plan (EHCP), there will be regular review meetings.

Ø Where outside agencies are involved e.g. Learning Support Team, Educational Psychologist, parents will receive copies of their reports and be offered the opportunity to discuss them with the SENCo or agency staff.

How will my child’s voice be heard?

Ø  Through regular circle time and PSHE sessions, discussions in class and in Collective Worship or assembly.

Ø  Through School Council.

Ø  Class teachers discuss children’s targets with them and where they are able, children have a say in their own target setting and target review.

Ø  Children who have a ‘My Support Plan’  or a ‘My Plan’ will be involved in their development and review .

How will Heytesbury support my child’s emotional & social development and well being?

We believe that children achieve best when they are happy.  We celebrate the children’s successes and provide them with positive learning experiences. Sometimes children also experience some setbacks or challenges along the way and we are committed to supporting them through these.

Support that is always available

Ø  Circle Time and PSHE lessons to promote social skills and social development.

Ø  Gem Power Awards and certificates – to develop skills of problem solving, resilience, perseverance, cooperation and collaboration.

Ø  Daily Collective Worship and a termly class assembly.

Ø  Class and whole school reward systems that promote and celebrate social development, as well as other achievements.

Ø  Opportunities to talk with a class teacher, head-teacher or teaching assistant on a 1:1 to share any worries or concerns.

Support that may be put into place

Ø  social skills groups, where we explicitly teach skills such as turn-taking, sharing, managing feelings.

Ø  1:1 support with the class teacher or specific teaching assistant

Ø  1:1 support with the Head Teacher

Ø  Use of social stories

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including trips?

Ø  As an inclusive school, all children have access to the full range of opportunities that we provide.

Ø  All children are encouraged to take part in school trips and activities. Risk assessments are carried out and where necessary, procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate.

How will Heytesbury prepare and support my child for joining the school or transferring to a new school?

Starting in Reception

Ø  Children come into school for morning and afternoon visits in the summer term.

Ø  To support children with SEN, we hold ‘transition meetings’ in the summer term with the SENCo, class teacher, parents, representatives from the pre-school setting and any other professionals who are supporting the child or family.

Ø  For the first few weeks of term, children attend part-time – this may be extended for children with SEN or summer born children.

Starting in another year group

Ø  Parents and children are encouraged to visit the school before starting. During this visit, parents will meet with the Head Teacher.

Ø  To support children with SEN, parents may also meet with the SENCo before the child starts to discuss their needs.

Ø  Children may spend a morning or a day with their new class before they ‘officially’ join the school.

Ø  We liaise with your child’s previous school to discuss strategies and support that has been effective in the past.

Moving classes

Ø  All children spend a day with their new class teacher.

Ø  Where necessary, children with SEN make extra visits to their new classroom, are supported by social stories to prepare them for the changes ahead and where appropriate, may make a photobook of their new classroom, teacher, teaching assistant etc.

Ø  Teachers have an allocated time to meet and share information and strategies for meeting the needs of all children.

Transition to secondary school

Ø  The SENCo meets with a member of the secondary school’s SEN team to discuss learning and pastoral needs.

Ø  All children spend time at the secondary school. (In 2017, this will be 4 days.)  Arrangements can be made for children with SEN to visit more often.

Ø  For children with Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP), the secondary school SENCo will be invited to attend the year 5 transition annual review and/or the year 6 annual review.

Moving to a new school

Ø  We ensure that all relevant paperwork is forwarded to the new school.

Ø  Where necessary, the SENCo will liaise with SENCo of the new school to ensure they are well informed of your child’s individual needs.

Ø  Class teachers and other school staff are always happy to liaise with staff at the new school

What training do staff receive regarding SEN?

Ø  We have regular staff meetings to ensure all staff are kept up to date with SEN developments.

Ø  Staff may meet with members of SSENS (Specialist Special Educational Needs Service) during ‘SEN Surgeries’ or at the Annual Planning Meeting.

Ø  Through staff appraisal, development needs are identified and catered for.  This may include ‘in-house’ training or attendance on a course.

Ø  If we admit a child for whom specialist training is needed eg Epipen use, training is provided as soon as possible.

What specialist services are

accessed by the school?

Ø  Speech and Language Therapists

Ø  Educational Psychologist

Ø  SSENS (Specialist Special Educational Needs Service)

Ø  Behaviour Support Team

Ø  EMAS (Ethnic Minority Achievement Service)

Ø  Physical Impairment Service

Ø  CAHMS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service)

Ø  Social Care Team

Ø  Occupational Therapy


For further information, please refer to Wiltshire’s Local Offer


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s SEN?

Ø  We allocate resources and deploy members of staff according to the children’s needs.

Ø  Pupil Progress Meetings, held 3 times a year with senior staff, review the progress of all children.  We review and evaluate our resources and provision to ensure effective support is maintained.

Ø  Class teachers continually monitor children’s progress and direct support from their teaching assistant accordingly.


Can my child’s school dinner requirements be accommodated if they have a special diet? Ø  A hot dinner is available for all children in KS1 and for those in KS2 who wish to purchase one. Special diets can be accommodated for, as long as we have advance notice.
What do I do if I have a concern about the provision for my child with SEN?

Ø  In the first instance, contact your child’s class teacher.

Ø  Should you wish to discuss your concerns further, you should contact the SENCo.

Ø  In the unlikely event that your concern is not resolved, then please follow the procedures as set out in our ‘Complaints Policy’




Updated: October 2016  Mrs C Godfrey, Deputy Headteacher / SENCo